Fall in Yates County: Get Cozy & Colorful in the Finger Lakes Countrysides
Are you looking for a cozy and fun fall vacation with your family, friends or loved ones? Look no further, because Yates County in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State has everything you need! With stunning foliage, charming small towns, and delicious local produce, Yates County is the perfect destination to make unforgettable memories amongst the colors of autumn.
Day 1: Exploring Keuka Lake
Start your fall getaway by checking into one of the cozy lakeside cabins or B&Bs in Yates County. Wake up to crisp autumn air and stunning views of Keuka Lake, one of the most picturesque Finger Lakes. After a hearty breakfast, head out to explore this gorgeous region.
- Vineyard views and wine tasting: Start your day with a unique Finger Lakes experience at one of our area wineries! Learn about the winemaking process, stroll through beautiful vineyards, and taste some of the award-winning wines produced in this region. Enjoy special programs like ‘Paws & Pours’ (a dog-friendly tasting experience) or work your way around a local wine trail. Yates County has stops along both the Seneca and the Keuka Lake Wine Trail, so there’s plenty to explore!
- Hiking at Keuka Lake State Park: After all that wine tasting, it’s time to get some fresh air and stretch your legs. Keuka Lake State Park has several hiking trails that offer stunning views of the lake and surrounding foliage. Don’t forget to pack a picnic lunch to enjoy at one of the scenic overlooks.
- Dinner at a local farm-to-table restaurant: End your day by indulging in some delicious, locally-sourced food at one of the many farm-to-table restaurants in Yates County. Enjoy a cozy and intimate dinner with your family, surrounded by the beautiful fall scenery. Check out Main Deck or 18th Amendment Kitchen & Cocktail Bar.
Day 2: Fall Foliage Tour
Wake up to another gorgeous day in Yates County and get ready for a day full of stunning fall foliage views.
- Breakfast at a cozy café: Start your morning with a classic fall breakfast at Oak Leaf Café in Penn Yan. Indulge in some delicious French toast topped with locally-sourced maple syrup, strawberries and powdered sugar and enjoy a cup of coffee or fresh fruit smoothie on the side.
- Scenic drive down Seneca Lake: Take a leisurely drive down Seneca Lake, another stunning Finger Lake known for its breathtaking fall foliage views. Make sure to stop at some of the scenic overlooks and take plenty of photos to capture the beauty.
- Apple picking at a local orchard: No fall getaway is complete without apple picking! Visit one of the many orchards and U-pick farms in Yates County and pick some fresh, crisp apples straight from the tree. Don’t forget to try some of the best apple cider donuts in the region at Wager’s Cider Mill or browse the farm stores while you’re in the area.
- Fall festival or event: Depending on the timing of your trip, you may be able to attend one of the many fall festivals or events happening in Yates County. From pumpkin patches to live music performances, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Day 3: Exploring Small Town Charm
On your last day in Yates County, take some time to explore the charming small towns that make this region so special.
- Shopping at local boutiques: Take a stroll through one of the small towns and browse the unique boutiques and shops. You’ll find everything from handmade crafts to homemade food products. The Windmill Farm and Craft Market in Penn Yan has over 175 indoor and outdoor vendors and is open on Saturdays and select holidays until the end of November!
- Visit a historic site or museum: Learn about the rich history of this area at the Yates County History Center—one of the oldest historical centers in New York State. Its collections of over 50,000 artifacts date from the mid 1700s and include magnificent costumes, an impressive 6,000 digital images, and the foremost collection of The Public Universal Friend artifacts in the United States.
- Lunch at a brewery: After all the exploring, take a break and enjoy lunch and a brew at one of the many local breweries in the area. The True Roots Kitchen at Laurentide Beer Company, for example, is always cooking up something special, like their corn fritters with a honey-siracha glaze or Philly eggroll.
Make sure to plan your next visit during a different season to experience all that this beautiful region has to offer year-round. Happy travels!
Or… Extend Your Stay in Yates County
If you have more time to explore the Finger Lakes Region, consider extending your stay in Yates County with these additional activities:
- Visit a nearby waterfall: The Finger Lakes Region is home to many beautiful waterfalls, including the iconic Taughannock Falls in nearby Ithaca. Take a day trip and explore some of these natural wonders.
- Experience the Corning Museum of Glass: Located just a short drive from Yates County, the Corning Museum of Glass is a must-visit attraction for art and history lovers. See incredible glass art displays, watch live demonstrations, and even make your own glass souvenir to take home.
- Go on a brewery or distillery tour: The Finger Lakes Region is known for its craft beverages, so why not take a tour and sample some of the local beers and spirits? Many breweries and distilleries offer tours with tasting options.
- Attend a live music performance: The Finger Lakes Region has a thriving music scene, with many small venues hosting live performances. Check out the local events calendar to see if there are any concerts or shows happening during your stay.
Plan your trip now and get ready to make unforgettable memories in Yates County. See you soon!