Sustainable & Eco-Friendly Businesses
Eco-conscious travelers and consumers can find numerous opportunities to show their love for the planet in Yates County, NY. The region features a rich natural environment and rural charm, and it hosts an array of businesses dedicated to conducting sustainable practices. Here is list of businesses throughout the area in the Finger Lakes that help visitors and residents live more sustainably.
Farm Stores And Craft Markets
Agriculture plays a large part in the business conducted in Yates County. Many farmers implement environmentally friendly practices into their daily operations. Two farm markets in the region worth checking out include:
The Farm Store At Big Mamou Organic Farm
This shop sells pasture raised and organic grass-fed meats, no-soy eggs, and wild-caught fish. They also provide a one-of-a-kind woodworking service.
The Windmill Farm & Craft Market
The Windmill Farm & Craft Market features more than 175 shops with locally made food, craft beverage, flowers, clothes, furniture, and other specialty items. It also hosts various events, such as live entertainment. Keuka and Seneca Lakes border this farm market, giving customers a beautiful view of the natural environment.
If you’re looking to explore the culinary scene, there are many options for dining out in Yates County. Consider the following restaurants and eateries during your next visit, where locally sourced ingredients are at the forefront of their business:
- 18th Amendment Kitchen & Cocktail Bar: The menu at this establishment showcases fresh ingredients from local farmers. The entrees change seasonally, meaning there are delicious new items to try throughout the year.
- Black Cat Bistro: Adjacent to the JAVA-GOURMET Company Store at Keuka Lake, this restaurant features locally produced coffee, beer, wine, and gourmet foods.
- Fox Run Vineyards Café: This café rests on Seneca Lake and uses high-quality ingredients from local NY producers in their recipes. Some of the businesses they support include Bostrom Farms, Muranda Cheese, and Stony Brook Wholehearted Foods.
- F.L.X Wienery: Ideal for meat lovers, the Wienery serves burgers, brats, chorizo, Italian sausages, and fries that are mostly made of locally sourced ingredients.
- Sapalta Restaurant at Plum Point Lodge: Another delicious restaurant in the Finger Lakes, Sapalta serves farm-to-table options for breakfast and dinner. You can also find locally sourced cheese, ice cream, and other items here.
- Spotted Duck Creamery: This unique eatery serves custard from the eggs of Ancona ducks raised onsite. All ingredients are grown from scratch at the creamery or a neighboring farm, from toppings to sauces.
- Veraisons Restaurant at Glenora Wine Cellars: This restaurant obtains ingredients from over 30 farms in the Finger Lakes region and throughout NY to make meals. Additionally, they use sustainably sourced fish in their recipes.
If you want to find a restaurant for lunch, review the FLX lunch. Numerous establishments are listed, some of which offer vegetarian and gluten-free options.
Hunt Country Vineyards Electric Car Charging Stations
Besides restaurants, Yates County is home to several wineries that prioritize eco-conscious methods that have very little impact of the environment. Some practices include solar power, handpicking grapes, and prohibiting pesticides. Here are some notable wineries to visit:
- Red Tail Ridge Winery: This Finger Lakes winery employs a three-pronged system approach to producing wine that balances financial growth with communal and ecological responsibility.
- Hunt Country Vineyards: Resting on the west side of Keuka Lake, this winery receives most of its electricity from solar panels and uses a geothermal heating and cooling system instead of oil for heat.
- Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard: From eliminating herbicide use to fostering biodiversity in neighboring fields, this winery seeks strategies to enhance sustainability in all they do.
Finding a place to stay that values the environment can be challenging, but Yates County has several lodging options that promote sustainability. When you visit, consider staying at one of the following eco-friendly conscious accommodations:
- Finger Lakes Bed & Breakfast: This bed and breakfast uses local ingredients for recipes, as well as green cleaners and toiletries in bedrooms. Additionally, it does not use chemicals or pesticides for its grapes grown on the property.
- Los Gatos Bed & Breakfast: Charles and Rebecca Frank invite guests to stay at their solar-powered property and enjoy delicious meals made with locally sourced ingredients.
- Water to Wine Glamping & Rentals: Those who enjoy luxury camping can rent a tent and receive tasty breakfasts made from organic and local ingredients.
Other Eco-Friendly Attractions
Several other shops and activities promote sustainability in the Yates County area. Visitors can round out their trip by checking out the following:
- Staving Artist Woodwork
- Bee Hive Antiques
- Dahlia’s Curios
- Finger Lakes Museum
- Keuka Outlet Trail and Preservation Area
- Rochester Folk Art Guild
A Hike & Bike Guide is also available for visitors looking for great spots and ideas.
Support Sustainable Businesses In Yates County, NY
If you want more information about eco-friendly establishments in the area, connect with Yates County Tourism. We provide a directory of different businesses in the region and an events calendar with upcoming activities. Contact us today to learn more about the environmentally friendly companies in the area.